Just Us

Just Us

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Big Blue


This is Big Blue (I didn't name her). She's a 1990 Ford F250 and we love her. If you knew Casey in high school you will automatically associate this big loud beast with him. And boy-howdy is it loud. The horn is so quiet that to get someones attention we rev the engine. This truck is not for the weak; every time I take it to the mechanic I offer to pull it in for them and they look at me like "psh I'm a mechanic, I don't need your help." then they come back and say "is there a trick to starting it?" to which I reply "push on the clutch HARD. Like, stand on it." Reverse is also tricky. You have to play with it for a while. I had my friend Maegan parellel park it for me once and when she finished she said she wouldn't have to work out for a week. Yep. Thats Big Blue. She makes me feel like a red-neck queen.
Here's where I get mushy. This truck was Casey's dad's. I know it sounds cheesey and weird but I feel like when I drive it, I actually knew Jesse Moon. Casey's dad died when he was ten and I LOVE to hear stories about him. The fact that Big Blue is now mine (I have the shorter drive so I drove her and Casey took Brooke, the Mazda.) makes me feel like Casey's dad is smiling on me proudly because I can now park her without any problems, which makes me feel ridiculously awesome. Casey wants his kids to drive this truck when they turn 16.

This trucks been through a lot. It has 360,000 miles on it and a couple years ago it was hit by a crane. Yes, I did say a crane. Casey had it parked on a job site and the crane operator backed into it. The drivers side is now ridiculously dented and we (as in Casey, Brady, and Randy) replaced the front quarter panel and door with junk yard parts. The brakes went out a while back... it was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me. I thought I was going to kill someone. They still don't work great but being able to stop without shifting into first is now possible.
Big Blue has been having trouble starting lately, this had Casey really worried. He didn't want to kill Big Blue. He wanted her around forever. He also was very worried that I would get stranded somewhere. When it's cold sometimes she won't start and now that it's always hard to start Casey was worried. Then last saturday I noticed something leaking in the back. I went and touched it and smelled diesel. I sadly reported the news to Casey. He's been wanting a new car and he convinced me that Big Blue should not be a commuter car if we want her to last forever. The fixing of the gas tank is not going to be a one day project but we'll get it done. Big Blue is still alive and well and we still love her and plan on giving her to our offspring some day. But for now....

we got a new car! This is the Jeep Liberty. it's a 2009 and so far we LOVE it! I HATE that we now have two car payments and I wanted a little cheap thing but, as always, I caved to Casey's cute face. We haven't named her yet but I'm sure we will soon.
We now have 4, yes, 4 cars at our house; the broken down Pathfinder (been broken down for almost 2 years... we just haven't called a junkyard), the Mazda, The Jeep, and of course, the Ford. Hopefully soon we'll only have three and one day we'll fix the truck so that she no longer leaks oil OR diesel and she can stop staining the road and driveway.
Anyway, the point is, Thank you Mom and Dad Moon for the truck. We love her and will do everything we can to keep her running.

7 comments:

Michael and Cassie said...

oh man that truck brings back a lot of memories! haha! good times!

Unknown said...

I love it. I love that you felt close to Casey's dad by being in it. That gave me goosebumps all over. You know what else did? Seeing Casey in his new car. I'm a sucker for new cars- especially when they are deserved. Casey deserved a new car. Anyone driving a car with more than 300,000 miles that has also been hit by a crane does and then some! I'm so excited for you guys.

PS- Casey's dad will still get to hang out with you, no matter what kind of car you drive. I know this from experience.

The Normans said...

You are too cute Leslie! I love that you feel close to Casey's dad through the truck. Miss you and hope things are going well for you and Casey!

Garnerfam said...

You rule! That trucks is rad! Such a cool story and congrats on the big purchase!! :)

The Jarretts said...

Awesome!!! I love it. But I love Big Blue. So many good memories. It's taken so many punches for me hahahaha. But your car looks so fancy. You better test it out by taking it on a drive to Cedar :)

Morgan said...

I know what you mean about driving the truck! I have a couple beautiful old skirts of Grant's mom's and it makes me feel so close to her <3

Cheri said...

I remember so well the first time Jesse showed his new truck to my Dad! It was at my Grandma Moon's house. Jesse was so in love with this truck!