Just Us

Just Us

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

PCOS

Thank you! Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful this last two months as I've been struggling. I have so many people who care about me and I'm in awe each time some one comments on my blog or sends me a text or asks in anyway how I'm doing. I know this whole Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) thing is common and I know everything will work out. But I'm still scared and worried. And therefore, very very grateful to the people who care.

A brief update. I went to my follow up appointment Monday. She explained my blood test results. Basically what's going on is that my FSH and my LH (those are the things that cause you to produce your hormones) are switched. So instead of having more FSH I have more LH. Meaning that I'm creating too much testosterone and not enough of the rest. Also my triglycerides are high because PCOS causes insulin resistance. The Insulin resistance is causing me to gain weight and making it hard to lose weight. The only way to manage PCOS is to keep your weight down. It's a vicious cycle. To manage the syndrome I have to lose the weight that the syndrome is putting on. Or else I'll have hormone problems forever. The doctor told me I'll have to be on this diet for the rest of my life. Yeah right. As soon as I have my children I'm eating pizza and pasta! I say that now, but I'm sure as soon as that beard comes in and I have Diabetes I'll be singing a different tune. Anyway, the doctor also told me to eat beans and nuts, which are high carb but good carbs, because they're a good protein source. I'm also supposed to try protein shakes (ick.).

Anyway, that's the update! Oh and I've lost 28 pounds!!!!! but I've plateaued and haven't lost any for about a week now, That could be because I've been struggling with the diet. We went camping and Casey is champ of the dutch oven! mmm... cake and cobbler.... I'll keep trying. I'll get back on track. I'm determined to be healthy. If not for me, for Casey.

7 comments:

Todd and Holly said...

28 pounds, that is awesome Leslie! Good job and Goob luck girl!

Garnerfam said...

I think you're amazing and are doing great! Congrats to you and keep it up. 28 lbs is so awesome!! And besides, a break every once in a while is healthy. Can't wait to see you next. :) xo

The Nelson Family said...

That is great, Leslie! Congratulations on losing so much weight!

P.S. Don't get diabetes... It's not fun! And once you have it, there's no going back! It's not the worst condition in the world, but it's no ride in the park, either.

Unknown said...

Holy crap! 28 pounds! That's AWESOME! I want to be you!

Danielle Richardson said...

i love you best friend. im sorry you have this stupid disease but i know you are strong and are totally gonna kick its butt. :)

The Normans said...

Love you so much Leslie! You have always been someone I have looked up to! You're amazing!

Cheri said...

You might want to try Tofu shiratake noodles. They're so yummy! Just like pasta but only 3 carbs per serving. You can find them in the refrigerator section at the local health food store. Just be warned they smell bad when you open them but they do taste great once they're cooked so don't be turned off!