Just Us

Just Us

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My over-inflated self esteem

This post has been a long time coming. I just wish I could eloquently say what I want to but it'll probably end up as a crazy mess of nonsense (but I guess that fits my blog title).
It was almost 2 years ago that I went to the doctors office and was told that I was so overweight that I would probably not get pregnant. She was full of nonsense. But it got me evaluating my opinion of myself and others opinions of themselves. I have shockingly high self esteem. I think I am beautiful. Not like I belong in a magazine or anything, I'm not the prettiest person in a group (I hang out with some seriously beautiful people. It's kind of ridiculous.), I'm pretty average. I have great hair, great boobs (even if they are too big), decent legs, and my face doesn't make dogs bark. But, here's the traumatic truth, please don't spread this around, I weigh 235 lbs. And yes, I think I'm a bit overweight, I'd like to lose some weight for my health and so that I have less back fat, but all in all, I still don't think I'm a hunk of lard!
A few posts back I posted about one of the debates me and Moon have: Cheerleaders Vs. Dancers (he's winning this one by the way.) The thing that I found strange was that I was a little worried about getting opinions because I know a lot of cheerleaders and a lot of dancers. Well, every cheerleader I asked said dancers and every dancer I asked said cheerleaders. And every single one of these girls is a major hotty! People who are short want to be tall, people who are tall think they are amazons (I'm sometimes guilty of this but most of the time I LOVE being tall!!) girls with curly hair want it straight and girls with straight want it curly.
Okay Leslie, Where are you going with this? Here's the question I would like to ask to all of my beautiful friends who are worried about their weight and their appearance; Who's judging you? Because if it's your significant other you tell me and I'll come kick them in the face. If it's any one else, WHO CARES!? I want you to feel good about yourself. don't slack like me and wear sweats every chance you get and eat fries for one meal a day, but be comfortable with yourself. Keep exercising because it makes you feel good I don't know any girls who are actually "overweight" who have trouble getting men. I do however know a lot of skinny girls who think they're overweight who attract jerks because they don't think they deserve better.



I love this song because ITS TRUE. Not with all women. I know a lot of strong and amazing woman. But I also know some who this song applies to.
Alright. I know this was a strange rant but this is something that breaks my heart and I'm actually pretty passionate about it. Your harshest judge is you! Cut yourself a little slack. And let me know if you feel the need to get away and get a moral boost. Even if you don't know me very well; I promise I'd still love it!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

HOORAY! You're TOTALLY right. It's not about the number on the scale or the number on your jeans. It's about feeling comfortable in your skin. A while back someone gave me their "fat" clothes to use right after I had a baby. Uhm. They were my "skinny" sizes- 6 and 8. I was completely surprised at the way people view things.

If you aren't happy at a size six, that's fine! But don't bring someone down who is over the moon (Moon ahahahaha) to be a size 10.

By the way, you have always been one of the most beautiful people I know. And it's not just because you have a beautiful face, skin, hair etc... it's because you are confident, happy and easy to be around. You make others around you feel better about themselves. It's because you're SO beautiful on the inside, it radiates throughout you. The first time I met you my immediate thought was, "She's so pretty!" (you were, what, 12?)and since I've only been awed at how BEAUTIFUL you are, inside and out.

Unknown said...

MUSH!

The Jarretts said...

Leslie, I can't help it if I am the most attractive one of the group. Don't judge me for it. tee hee
Awesome post! I agree with you! The media and society have made women too worried about what they look like. The truth it, we try to impress other women more then we do men (or our husbands) because we care more what they think about us than we should. I'm sorry I sometimes complain about my curly hair (even though it is hard to wash). I am glad that I am not bald. I have always admired your self-confidence and believe it has helped me raise my self-confidence (especially when you first befriended me and I was in my goosy-goosy stage). You are an awesome best friend and person!!

Missy said...

It's true! You are beautiful! You've always been, part of that comes from your amazing confidence. And, welp, let's be honest, your boobs are breathtaking ;)

Aligirl is right, most of the time, women are trying harder to impress other women than they are their own man! Partly because if he is a good man he loves her no matter what.

It is funny what our preceptions are. I was told all my life how tall I was. Then, I married into this family and I was told I was short. In both cases I was still the same height, I haven't shrunk. It seems like we ALL have a little body distortion when we look at ourselves and then other people.

You know, it's funny. I've learned so much from this whole BRCA2 gene. I've learned that it's not about what the scale says, it's about how I feel and if I'm healthy. If I don't take care of myself, than there is a 90% guarentee hanging over my head that says I won't be here to take care of my children or grandchildren. Being healthy is not about being a size 0. It has to do with how we feel on the inside, not only in our head/heart, but how our body feels, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still vain enough to wish I had my prepregnancy boobs and abs back! But, I feel so much better in this body than I ever did in that old one.

Kylie and Drew said...

Leslie this was such a great post! I have to admit, I am one of the annoying girls who always wishes I looked different or had some different trait/quality. I wish I had your confidence! But I am working on it...I just wish I didn't HAVE to work on it. (I wish I didn't have to diet and lose weight to feel happy about how I look.) Maybe someday soon I will stop, and realize I like who I am. Until then, I guess all I can do is keep trying!

Johanna said...

Leslie, I'm kind of in love with you...ok who am I kidding I am in love with you! You are beautiful Les(ha ha remember how I just started calling you that??)! Great post girl!

Annika Brown said...

I love this post. It's so funny how we are all our own biggest critic. Nobody else sees the faults we see in ourselves, yet for some reason, we always give ourselves a hard time. I've always thought you were so adorable and pretty, and one of your greatest qualities is that you always make all of your friends feel like the hottest thang on two legs. You're such a great person! And I think it's time you found out I've been blog stalking you. There, I said it.

Leslie Moon Face said...

Thanks ya'll!!! you're all way too nice! but I'm glad you liked the post! and I'm also glad that manni is stalking me :D